Saturday, October 15, 2005

LAPTOP CONNECTIONS TO MULTIPLE NETWORKS

I. CONNECTING A LAPTOP TO MULTIPLE NETWORKS

Having a notebook or laptop provides the freedom to be truly mobile. You can work in many places and situations. But this brings an annoyance: if you move your notebook between various different networks, you always have to change network settings. Recently my employer has issued me a brand new notebook. When I came home at the end of the day, I had to disable DHCP, set up an IP-address and DNS configuration. Next morning I needed to reverse my configuration to work at my office. The real headache began when I went to our customer site...

II. SWITCHING NETWORK SETTINGS ON THE FLY

There are three ways to switch a notebook between networks with one click. First is to use a built-in windows feature of saving and loading network settings. This way is for experienced users. Second is by using Windows XP "alternate configuration" feature. The third way is to use third-party utilities like Net Profile Switch, IPSwitch etc. Let's discuss all three.

III. WINDOWS "NETSH" UTILITY
Windows 2000 comes with the "netsh" utility that gives you the possibility to "dump" all network settings into a file which you can later use to restore your complete Network settings.
To Save the current Settings use. . .

To view the rest of this article on connecting a laptop to multiple networks

No comments: