Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Build Your Own Computer

If I can do it so can you!

Im eighty-one years old and I bought my first computer six years ago. When I bought it I hardly knew how to turn it on. I consider myself still a Newbie as I have barely scratched the surface of computer technology. I have succesfully built about a dozen computers for family friends and myself. I even sold a couple of them.

Building a computer doesnt require a high degree of technical skill, however it does require a little mechanical aptitude. Building may not be the proper term, assembling would be more appropriate. Thats actually what you do, you assemle the right components then install an operating system which is the only phase of the project that requires any technical ability.

Building your own computer has several advantages, for one you can save some money. But do not get the idea that you can sell them at a profit. Theres too much competition at the low end. All the major manufacturers have budget models, most of which you can buy with substantial rebates and good warrantees You have a number of options, you can build from scratch or you can build from a barebones kit. I recommend the latter for your first attempt. You also have the choice of using all new components or using some recycled parts.

If you have a reasonably up to date PC that died ther are probably a number of parts that you can re-use, and you can buy a lot of good used components from eBay and other online sources. Refurbished computer parts are a good option.

The first thing you have to do is determine your requirements. If you're going to just surf the Internet, do e-mail and a bit of printing, go for the cheapest you can buy. You will still have plenty of capacity for simple tasks.

Next you have to decide whether to go with a barebones kit or do a complete build. Kits are recommended because generally that is the most economical way to go, and its definitely easier. Installing a mother- board can get dicey for the uninitiated. There are a lot of little wires to connect that can give you greif if they are not in the right place.

To read the rest of this article please click over to build your own computer on our website.

For all of A1-Computers Recomended computer sales-specials-coupons check out this page.

No comments: